A: 1# pork shoulder
1/2 onion, sliced
2t salt; 1/2t thyme
B: 7 chiles anchos, dried
C: 5c garlic, unpeeled
D: 2 slices bread, toasted dark
1 tomato, peeled and cored; 1 onion, chopped; 1t mexican oregano
E: 3 whole cloves; 5-6 peppercorns; 1/2" cinnamon stick; 2T sugar
F: 1 small potato and 1 onion, diced 1/4" and boiled
1/2 ripe plantain, diced 1/4"
G: 1 tomato, peeled and cored
salt & pepper
H: ~12 corn tortillas
I: 1/3C feta cheese; 1/3C jack cheese, grated
J: 2-3 rings of freash onion; radish or escabeche; cilantro
1. Add (A) to slow-cooker and barely cover with boiling water. Cook on low for
at least 6 hours. Reserve meat, broth and skim fat.
2. Cover (B) with boiling water and reconstitute for 30 minutes. Roast (C)
gently on a hot skillet and peel. Grind (E) in mortar.
3. Combine (B), (C), (D), (E) and 1/2C pork broth into blender and puree until
4. Heat 1T oil in skillet until drops of puree sizzle, then add puree all at
once and cook until thickened.
5. Add 1 1/2C pork broth to skillet and simmer for 45 minutes. Add broth to
bring to correct thickness.
6. Shred pork and combine with (F) and add to hot skillet with 2T oil. Cook,
stirring frequently to gather browned bits from bottom of pan.
7. Add (G) to meat mixture in skillet.
8. Heat (H) directly over gas flame, assemble enchiladas by spooning meat onto
tortillas, place in baking dish, cover with sauce and (I), and bake at 350F
for 5-10 minutes. Garnish with (J) and serve.
$Id: enchiladas_coloradito,v 1.2 2007/12/19 01:54:51 deaven Exp $
Ingredient list only (can be imported to MyFitnessPal)